Christchurch Growth & Development Information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christchurch Growth & Development Information

I was born in Christchurch and have lived in Queensland for most of my life. I return about every three years. When I was there recently I was impressed with some of the changes particularly Lichfield Lanes, the bus exchange which I think rivals anything in some of the bigger Australian cities, it is very efficient and I would imagine it cost a great deal less to build than what would be spent on a project of its type in Australia. I have been following with great interest on Skyscrapercity the events in Christchurch. Bob Parker appears to have some progressive ideas for the city. Light rail and or a Rail system along the lines of Wellington, servicing the outlying districts of Christchurch sounds awesome. Some of the population projections sound a little conservative to me and a more aggressive and positive approach to growing the city into a "world class" city is needed. What is happening in terms of rejuvenating the cbd.? I feel Christchurch should have a skyline roughly equivalent to Wellington, in terms of height and density. Had the the crash in the 1990s not happened I can imagine this would have been the case.

Christchurch has ambitious plans for its cbd. They plan to increase the population of the innercity from 8,000 to 30,000 by 2026. There is plenty of information on www.skyscrapercity.com Christchurch/. 500,000 will be the metropolitan area's population by about 2013. At present it is 438,000 which may include some country area but that usually gets swallowed up with the way growth is happening.

Comment

Christchurch is a beautiful name!!!!!

Comment

Is christchurch the second or third largest city in New Zealand?

Comment

Very close to getting the number 2 spot. It's airport is aiming to become the country's key entry point for visitors to New Zealand. Christchurch at present is really just a stopping off point to other destinations throughout New Zealand. It is developing into a destination in its own right in the same way Wellington is. With new developments like the Lichfield Lanes, the Press site and rejuvenation of the innercity happening over the next few years, Christchurch is beginning to develop an innercity which will be the envy of New Zealand and probably the world. In terms of highrise 23 storey is about as tall as it gets with the C1 being the tallest building. The Pinnacle which is on the drawing board is a similar height, looks to be the beginning of some tall buildings in the city. The mayor Bob Parker is not anti highrise, don't be surprised if they do become a feature in the future.

Comment

hahahahaha..... nice city

Comment

I was in Christchurch nearly a week ago, and can tell you it is a great small to mid sized city. While it has been badly hit by the recent 7.1 earthquake which hit on September 4, one gets a feeling that this may have heralded a rebirth of the not only the inner city and the region as a whole. A new section of tramway will be finished before the Rugby World Cup next which will invigorate the cbd, while talks are under way on how to rebuild and enhance the city, with many internationally regarded architects and urban designers. While plans had been made over a few decades to increase development in the innercity, I can't help wondering whether the quake may have put some of the rejuvenation forward more.

Comment

Most of you are probably aware of the tragic events which have happened in Christchurch in recent days. It is likely that significant number of historic buildings will be lost. The worst thing of course has been the tragic loss of life, which has occurred. At present the CBD is closed down and the sad task of identifying bodies is taking place. I can't tell you how sad I feel for my hometown. A few ideas on revitalising the city have been suggested including relocating the university to the innercity. It is very early days, this sounds like a great idea, as it would do a great deal to revitalise the city. While much of the damaged historic precinct will eventually be rebuilt, much of the cbd appears likely to be returned to parkland. The cbd of future of the city is not likely to contain highrise, although modern buildings did hold up well in general, examples of collapsed stairwells in an older highrise and the fate of the Grand Chancellor appears to go against highrises ever being built in the cbd again. While it is very early days in the planning phase, it seems likely that some form of satellite cbd may emerge, acting as a secondary hub for the city, which may allow for highrise or large commercial offices. Interesting days lie ahead.

Comment

Working...
                X