One of the most popular streets in Warsaw for shopping, eating out and enjoying a few drinks is Ulica Nowy Świat (Polish for "New World Street") which forms part of the Royal Route running from the Royal Castle and Old Town to King Jan III Sobieski's 17th-century royal residence at Wilanów.
Nowy Świat is about 1 mile long and runs from Triple Cross Square (Plac Trzech Krzyży) northwards and intersects another two popular streets, Jerusalem Avenue (Aleje Jerozolimskie) and Holy Cross Street ( ulica Świętokrzyska).
The buildings lining the street are mostly in the art nouveau style now but once were neoclassical buildings. Initially, this was the street where the nobility of Warsaw first built their manors and palaces.
The Royal Castle (Polish: Zamek Krolewski) in Warsaw is the royal palace and official residence of the Polish monarchs, located at the Plac Zamkowy, at the entrance to the Old Town.
The personal offices of the king and the administrative offices of the Royal Court of Poland were located there from the 16th century until the Partitions of Poland. In its long history the Royal Castle was repeatedly devastated and plundered by Swedish, Brandenburgian, German, and Russian armies.
On 3 May 1791, the Constitution of May 3, 1791, Europe's first modern codified national constitution, as well as the second-oldest national constitution in the world, was drafted here by the Four-Year Sejm. In the 19th century, after the collapse of the November Uprising, it was used as an administrative center by the Tsar. Between 1926 and World War II the palace was the seat of the Polish president, Ignacy Moscicki. After the devastation of World War II it was rebuilt and reconstructed.
Today it is a historical and national monument, and is listed as a national museum
St. John's Cathedral (Polish: Katedra sw. Jana), located in Warsaw's Old Town, is one of two cathedrals in the Polish capital. St. John's stands immediately adjacent to Warsaw's Jesuit Church, and is one of the oldest churches in the city and the main church of the Warsaw archdiocese. St. John's Cathedral is one of Poland's national pantheons.
Originally built in the 14th century as a Mazovian Gothic church, the Cathedral served as a coronation and burial site for numerous Dukes of Masovia. The church was rebuilt several times, most notably in the 19th century, it was preserved until World War II as an example of English Gothic Revival. Leveled by the Germans during the Warsaw Uprising (August-October 1944), it was rebuilt after the war.
The exterior reconstruction is based on the 14th-century church's presumed appearance (according to an early-17th-century Hogenberg illustration and a 1627 Abraham Boot drawing), not on its prewar appearance.
Opera was brought to Poland only twenty years after it first appeared in Florence, by Royal Prince Ladislaus IV Vasa, who in 1628 invited the first Italian opera troupe to Warsaw. As soon as he ascended the Polish throne in 1632, he had a theatre hall built in his castle, where regular opera performances were produced by an Italian company directed by Marco Scacchi.
From 1774 on, opera, theatre and ballet performances were held in the Radziwill Mansion (today the Polish "White House") in Krakowskie Przedmiescie Street. There, on 11 July 1778, the first Polish opera was produced by a company of Polish artists - Maciej Kamienski's "Poverty Made Happy" with Wojciech Boguslawski's libretto based on a comedy by Franciszek Bohomolec. This was the beginning of Polish National Opera.
In 1779-1833 performances took place in a new theatre building on Krasinski Square, later called the National Theatre. It was there that Wojciech Boguslawski, an excellent actor, singer, director, playwright and entrepreneur, known as the father of the Polish National Theatre, developed his talent, and where a troupe of His Majesty's Dancers (from 1785), headed by the ballet masters Francois Gabriel Le Doux from Paris and Daniel Curz from Venice, began its activity.
For 170 years Teatr Wielki, today called the Teatr Wielki - Polish National Opera, has been Poland's grandest opera and ballet institution. Its building was erected in 1825-1833 to designs by the Italian architect Antonio Corazzi of Livorno for the companies of national opera, ballet and drama active at the time in Warsaw. The first performance in the new building, Rossini's "Il barbiere di Siviglia", took place on 24 February 1833