Atlanta Dream Select Sancho Lyttle With Top Pick in Houston Comets Dispersal Draft
Posted Dec 8 2008 1:57PM
Sancho Lyttle was selected by the Atlanta Dream with the first pick while All-Rookie Teamer Matee Ajavon went to the Washington Mystics.
NEW YORK, Dec. 8, 2008 — The Atlanta Dream selected Sancho Lyttle with the first pick in the WNBA's Dispersal Draft of Houston Comets players held via conference call today. Teams drafted in inverse order of their regular-season finish in 2008.
The Washington Mystics chose Matee Ajavon with the second pick while the Chicago Sky took Mistie Williams with the third selection. The Minnesota Lynx selected Roneeka Hodges and the Phoenix Mercury took Sequoia Holmes to round out the top five picks.
As previously announced, the Houston Comets suspended operations for the 2009 season. Players on the Comets' roster at the conclusion of the 2008 season were eligible for selection. Teams not wishing to select a player had the option of passing.
Unrestricted free agents who were not eligible for selection included Latasha Byears, Mwadi Mabika, Hamchetou Maiga-Ba, Michelle Snow and Tina Thompson. These players, along with anyone not selected in today's dispersal draft, may begin negotiating with any team once the free agency period begins on Dec. 15.
The complete results of the 2008 Dispersal Draft are as follows:
1. Atlanta Dream-Sancho Lyttle, F/C, 6'4", Houston
2. Washington Mystics-Matee Ajavon, G, 5'8", Rutgers
3. Chicago Sky-Mistie Williams, F, 6'3", Duke
4. Minnesota Lynx-Roneeka Hodges, G, 5'11", Florida State
5. Phoenix Mercury-Sequoia Holmes, G, 6'1", UNLV
6. Indiana Fever-Erica White, G, 5'3", LSU
7. Sacramento Monarchs-Renae Camino, G, 5'9", Australia
8. New York Liberty-PASS
9. Los Angeles Sparks-PASS
10. Connecticut Sun-PASS
11. Detroit Shock-PASS
12. Seattle Storm-PASS
13. San Antonio Silver Stars-PASS