Nicole Powell earned her first All-Star nod in 2009, averaging a career-high 16.7 ppg and 5.9 rpg.
Rocky Widner/NBAE/Getty Images
NEW YORK, Dec. 14, 2009 – The New York Liberty selected Nicole Powell with the first pick in the WNBA’s Dispersal Draft of Sacramento Monarchs players held via conference call today. Teams drafted in inverse order of their regular season finish in 2009.
The Minnesota Lynx chose Rebekkah Brunson with the second pick while the Connecticut Sun took DeMya Walker with the third selection. The Chicago Sky selected Courtney Paris and the San Antonio Silver Stars took Laura Harper to round out the top five picks.
Any player on the Monarchs roster at the conclusion of the 2009 season was eligible for selection, including restricted free agents Kristin Haynie, Chelsea Newton and Scholanda Robinson. Unrestricted free agents Kara Lawson, Ticha Penicheiro and Hamchétou Maïga-Ba were not eligible for selection. These players, along with anyone not selected in today’s dispersal draft, may begin negotiating with any team once the free agency period begins on Jan. 15. Teams not wishing to select a player had the option of passing.
The complete results of the 2009 Dispersal Draft are as follows:
2009 WNBA Dispersal Draft
1. New York Liberty (13-21): Nicole Powell, F, 6’2, Stanford
2. Minnesota Lynx (14-20): Rebekkah Brunson, F, 6’3, Georgetown
3. Connecticut Sun (16-18): DeMya Walker, F/C, 6’3, Virginia
4. Chicago Sky (16-18): Courtney Paris, C, 6’3, Oklahoma
5. San Antonio Silver Stars (15-19): Laura Harper, F/C, 6’4, Maryland
6. Washington Mystics (16-18): Kristin Haynie, G, 5’8, Michigan State
7. Tulsa* (18-16): Scholanda Robinson, G, 5’11, Louisiana State
8. Los Angeles (18-16): Pass
9. Atlanta (18-16): Pass
10. Seattle Storm (20-14): Chelsea Newton, G, 5’11, Rutgers
11. Indiana Fever (22-12): Pass
12. Phoenix Mercury (23-11): Pass