- "It was a big bang, smoke everywhere, people screaming," said neighbor Besnaldo Torres as he choked up. It "it's like kind of hard it's too close to home you know."
Overcome with emotion, neighbors still can't believe this Roxbury apartment complex went up in flames early Monday morning.
In all 55 people lost everything they owned; 15 had to be rescued from the burning building because there was no other way out.
Many who tried to escape the suffocating smoke and hot flames, like Judith Lamb and her six-year-old grandson Xavier Lara, had to turn back.
Lamb said, "On our way down the smoke was just so white and it started to burn."
Xavier said, "My mouth was like burning hot and it hurt really bad."
So Lamb did the only thing she could think of to save her grandson - she ran him to her third floor window and screamed for someone to help her.
"There was a firefighter and a young man, a neighbor I think, and they positioned themselves so that I could drop him," said Lamb.
Left with a choice no parent or grandparent should ever have to make, Lamb pried her grandson's grip from the window sill, said a prayer, and let go.
Lamb said, "I was just praying to God that they just don't miss the catch when I drop him, and he was fine, they did catch him."
In those few seconds it took for Xavier to reach them, his rescuers feared the worst.
Neighbor Jonathan Martinez, who helped rescued boy, said, "I didn't want her to throw him because it was going to be a nightmare for me, for my whole life, seeing that baby dying over there in my eyes."
Boston Fire Lt. Glenn McGillivray said, "I was just praying that I was going to get him that he wasn't going to miss me the way she let him go."
Despite a traumatic morning, this little 6-year-old was rather unfazed.
Xavier said, "I remember when I fell like off the window, and someone catch me and after that I was relaxing in the police car."
Mohamed Abdul Jabar, 28, of Medford, was arrested after he showed up at Boston Medical Center with burns and claimed he started the fire,
Jabar was transferred to the burn unit at Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was being treated in intensive care with second-degree burns to his arms, hands and face. His injuries didn't appear to be life-threatening, police said.
Police spokeswoman Elaine Driscoll said a preliminary investigation indicates that Jabar set the fire as part of a failed suicide attempt.
Es el relato de un niño que fue rescatado en un incendio en Boston, donde 55 personas perdieron sus cosas, donde un vecino ayudó a rescatar a un niño de 6 años del desastre, Xavier.
También dice que este incendio fue provocado por Mohamed Jabar, que llegó al hospital con quemaduras de segundo grado diciendo que fue él quien inicio el incendio, según un policia. Según las investigaciones, Jabar inició el incendio en un acto fallido de suicidio.
Eso a grandes rasgos.
Last edited by Moonview; 6th January 2012 at 00:30.