Istanbul Disaster Prevention and Education Centre
Architectural competition which has been organised Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality has ended.
This International Architecture Competition is called in order to select the design of an Istanbul Disaster Prevention and Education Centre, which is to be the first institution in Turkey with the intended facilities.
Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality is willing to establish a centre fully equipped with adequate technology and facilities in order to be prepared against a disaster that may affect Istanbul and to develop public consciousness about the disasters and specifically about earthquakes. The centre will also be hosting relevant courses, congresses and seminars.
Equipped with visual and audio educational appliances and simulation systems, the centre will allow experiencing earthquake, hurricane, fire fighting, smoke, liquefaction, tsunami, first aid and emergency communications. It is also intended to offer information to the visitors through a planetarium, library, seminar/meeting halls, information boards, etc. which are to be designed using the latest technology.
‐ To establish a technology centre, which shall be an example of the “Edutainment” approach and equipped with adequate infrastructure to conduct educational activities towards preparing the visitors against disasters.
‐ To create a state of the art design which aims to contribute to Istanbul.s urban context.
‐ To contribute to Istanbul as one of the prominent tourist attractions in the city.
One of designs of this competition.
Authors of the project: VARDANYAN VARDAN & NERSISYAN ARTUR
The project name: Station “ FLOAT AND 48 CENTIPEDE’’
Project site area: 27.000 m2 Building
area: 1.000 m2
Total floor area: 5.025 m2
Car open parking : 1.600 m2
1.Instruction in the form of “ entertainment” begins with a forms of a building. The large wave-like facade from four sides reminds us the relief of the ground. Seismic or tsunami waves to where visitors of the centre enter and plunge themselves to feel the nature of disasters and learn to behave right during these disasters. Deep wavy facade jalousie keep coolness in the centre in hot whether.
2. The building is projected on the columns, which stands on 48 rubber seismic pillows on the earth level. One can touch them to feel their power. The building itself serves as an obvious illustration against earthquakes. Green space on earth level, under the whole building is a good and cool place for a walk and a good rest.
Cone shells made of thin aluminum around carrying columns which are like loud-speakers will make movement of the ground audible and putting an ear to the cone shell one can hear how the earth breaths.
3. Conference hall standing separately in a form of hemisphere on earth level (as a float) is in water pond and in case of earthquake it won’t move. Entrance to Conference hall is directly from a building lobby. It is also an obvious illustration against earthquakes.
4. From the ground floor one can go up along an approach ramp to a flat roof with a grassy coating, to survey district to jump and play.
5. There is an open amphitheatre for local residents to have various cultural actions.
6. For tourists and visitors of the centre as an entertainment for a city survey, near to an observatory - the panoramic, round lift, by capacity of 36 members lifting tourists on height of 75 m is provided.
7. The open parking area on 200 cars and a place for 2-4 tourist buses in the centre territory is provided.